STEP ND is North Dakota’s exporter reimbursement program funded in part through a grant from the Small Business Administration’s State Trade Expansion Program (STEP) and administered through the North Dakota Trade Office (NDTO). The STEP ND grant program is available through September 29, 2022. Qualified activities and programs include:
- Foreign trade missions
- Foreign trade shows
- Domestic trade shows approved by US Commercial Service’s International Buyer Program or International Buyer Program Select
- Foreign market sales trips
- Subscription to services of the US Commercial Services
- RAISE Program
- Website translation to a foreign language
- Design and translation of foreign marketing materials
- Shipping of sample materials/products to trade show/sales trip
Applications and accompanying information can be obtained on NDTO’s website at www.ndto.com.
The mission of STEP ND is to enhance the ability of export-ready ND small businesses to expand their export sales and marketing programs and increase or retain jobs as a result of the use of the grant funds. STEP ND is designed to channel resources to ND companies to strengthen their export plans and increase ND’s presence in the global economy. Whether your company is currently exporting or new to export, there is assistance available for you.
PROGRAM AVAILABLE FUNDS
The North Dakota Trade Office through administration of the US Small Business Administration, Office of International Trade’s State Trade Expansion Program will make available a maximum of $149,592 for development of STEP ND. These funds will be available effective through Spetember 29, 2022.
NDTO allocates funds to approved companies on a first-come, first-served basis. Once all funding is allocated, the application process is over (unless allocated funds are under-utilized by awarded companies and turned back to NDTO).Funds will be used to assist eligible companies for reimbursement of 75% of eligible costs up to $3,500 per activity, including:
- Trade missions
- Trade shows
- Foreign market sales trips
- Shipping samples
- Compliance testing
- RAISE Program
- Website localization
- Foreign language translation
- Marketing materials for the international market
Eligible small businesses can take advantage of reimbursement with a maximum total reimbursements per company of $7,000 during the award period. *Maximum cap amounts are subject to change with proper SBA approval. Please contact email@example.com for the most up to date information.
Participation in STEP ND is open to any ND small business as defined under SBA guidelines meeting the operational definition as required by the State Trade Expansion Program as follows:
- Is organized or incorporated in the United States;
- Is operating in the United States;
- The applicable industry-based small business size standard established under section 3 of the Small Business Act; or
- The alternate size standard applicable to the program under section 7(a) of the Small Business Act and the loan programs under title V of the Small Business Investment Act of 1958 (15 U.S.C. 695 et seq.);
The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) size standards are found at 13 C.F.R. Part 121. Use the following sba.gov link for information on size standards for your business (https://www.sba.gov/category/navigation-structure/contracting/contracting-officials//small-business-size-standards);
- Has been in business for not less than 1 year, as of the date on which assistance using a grant under this subsection commences; and
- Has access to sufficient resources to bear the costs associated with trade, including the costs of packing, shipping, freight forwarding, and customs brokers.
In addition, applicants must:
- Be a ND registered company in good standing and have a significant on-the-ground presence in ND
- Have a current commercialized product or service with domestic and/or foreign sales history,
- Apply directly to receive program funds – no third party representatives may apply on behalf of the company,
- Not be debarred, suspended, proposed for debarment, declared ineligible, or voluntarily excluded from participation in receiving these funds by any federal department or agency,
- Submit the Company Application to NDTO only once for approval. Separate Activity Applications must be submitted for each planned event by participant, and
- Sign the Company Application and all accompanying attachments to it.
NDTO reserves the right to approve or disapprove any application and associated expenses, determine eligibility matters, approve or disapprove reimbursement of expenses to a company and interpret STEP ND guidelines and requirements.
- No STEP ND funds can be used for reimbursement of any expenses that a company incurred prior to receiving a written commitment from NDTO which will outline the agreed-upon activity, allowable expenses and time period,
- STEP ND funds can only be paid to a company on a reimbursable basis upon timely submission of receipts/proof of payment to NDTO. No cash advances will be paid. NDTO reserves the right to determine the expense reasonableness and whether an expense is allowable under the STEP ND and SBA guidelines
- All approved activities must be completed by September 29, 2022. All receipts must be submitted by October 30, 2022 to NDTO in order to be considered for reimbursement under STEP ND.
- Participants will be required to provide estimated goals and outcomes at the time of application as a result of accepting STEP ND funds. In addition, you agree to timely answer surveys and provide quarterly information on program outcomes after the activity to include:
- Number of export-related agreements the participant signs, such as memorandums of understanding (MOU), distributor or agent agreements, sales agreements, etc.,
- US dollar value of projected export sales through September 29, 2022,
- US dollar value of actual export sales through September 29, 2022,
- Number of FTE jobs created and/or retained as a result of these increased export sales,
- Any additional information or success stories relevant to your participating in the STEP ND grant program.
- Activities/projects must be completed as proposed on the approved application to NDTO. No changes will be allowed.
- If international air travel is submitted as an activity expense for future reimbursement, Participant acknowledges that air travel must be on a US carrier (Fly America Act) departing and returning to the US and only economy-class airfare will be reimbursed. If Participant chooses to travel on a different price class, then an economy-class quote must be obtained simultaneously along with the increased class price reservation/purchase to be considered for reimbursement.
- If a pre-approved activity or project is not started within 60 days of the application date, the project will be deemed to be withdrawn by Applicant and must be resubmitted as a new application if desired by Applicant.
APPLICATION REVIEW PROCESS
Each application will be acknowledged by email as having been received and submitted for review. Applicant may or may not be contacted by NDTO or its partners during the review process to discuss the application. Within 1-2 weeks of the acknowledgement email, applicant will be notified of the decision
For additional questions, please contact NDTO at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 701-929-6702.